Friday, November 6, 2009

Desert Park


Now this a field trip. No going to visit the fire station. No seeing how the mail gets sorted.


This is an Aussie Field Trip, so bring water and watch for snakes!

First, Mr. M and Mrs. Mac gather everyone and their recess (that means snack) onto the bus. Mr. M is the teacher and drives the bus.
Off we go, kids! Here we are, kids!- about 200 meters up the road at the Alice Springs Desert Park. http://www.alicespringsdesertpark.com.au/
Since I was a helper-mommy, I drove Thomas straight there and he didn't get his school hat. He's the one in the tan with the attached fly net. All the kids thought that was way cool. Ah, to be six.

The park is a beautiful representation of various desert habitats - whether actual or created. There is also a Nocturnal House with bilbys, bandicoots, quolls, hopping mice and other really cute freaks scurrying about. Mid-way through our walk, we got to see the raptor show. These are the best-trained owls, kites and other birds I've ever seen.

They are PROS. Unfortunately, my camera skills are not nearly as refined and I mostly have pics of some guy standing in khaki shorts. The birds fly up at exactly the right time, show whatever behavior the guide is talking about, then disappear.

I promise, anyone who comes to visit us will see the Desert Park.



I think this is a black kite. Yes, they know it's brown.



They made some lush, tropical areas, too with flight cages of cockatoos, bush turkeys and

Look! A Kookaburra sits in an old... oh, nevermind.


We didn't make it to the kangaroo enclosure, the salt pans or the emus, but Mr. M says we'll go back before the school year ends in December. Wow, I hope grade 1 is this much fun. Ummm, for Thomas. Yeah.

4 comments:

  1. You are making me regret that I didn't grow up or raise my children down under. Things sound so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I've got the kookaburra song as a brain worm! What a wonderful place for a field trip! Tomis (and you!) must be really enjoying exploring everything. When can I come for a visit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't check your post for a sometime, sounds like you'all are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys! Ahhhh, sounds like you're fitting right in and enjoying the fun parts of Alice. Are the 6 white boomers with Santa's sleigh set up yet at the mall? Make sure you listen to the song "6 white boomers" it's an Aussie Xmas song, too cute! So glad to hear Tomis is fitting right in. I still crack up thinking of Sofie's Aussie friend Meg telling Sofie they didn't have a "restoom" in their house. I had to explain it was the toilet she was looking for! Enjoy the Alice. Cheers

    ReplyDelete